The question we most commonly ask is the “what” question – what ideas form the essence of leadership? When the conversation goes a bit deeper, we ask the “how” question–what methods and techniques are required to lead well? Occasionally, when it goes deeper still we ask the “why” question–for what purpose or to what ends do we pursue leadership?
But seldom, if ever, do we ask the “who question”– who is the self that leads? How does the quality of my selfhood form or deform the way I relate to my colleagues, my work, my world? How can institutions sustain and deepen the selfhood from which good leadership comes?
-After Dr. Parker J. Palmer in The Courage to Teach
We live in challenging times, and as leaders it is vital that we take time to renew our spirits and reflect on the purpose and passion that underlie our work.
Courage to Lead® offers you time and space to work through life's larger questions, to reconnect your soul and role, and to grow your capacity for authentic leadership, in the safety and comfort of a community of like-minded individuals.
Using the Circle of Trust® approach developed by Dr. Parker J. Palmer and colleagues, experienced facilitators create a safe space that allows the soul to show up. Though not religious, the retreats may be described as spiritual in nature, where readings from numerous wisdom traditions, stories, and insightful poetry are used as a medium for contemplation and dialogue. The Clearness Committee, a Quaker process of personal discernment through community process, is the capstone of each retreat. Through these group and solitary activities, you will be invited to carry out the inner work that gets you closer to the heart of your leadership.
Courage to Lead focuses on:
- renewing heart, mind and spirit through the exploration of the inner landscape of the leader’s life
- reconnecting to one’s identity and integrity; identifying and honoring gifts and strengths, and also acknowledging limits
- creating a context for careful listening and deep connection that also honors diversity in person and profession
- helping leaders create trustworthy spaces for learning and growing together, in a community of insight and trust
- exploring the connection between the inner dimension of the leader’s life and his/her work
Nurturing the Heart of the Leader is a four-retreat series open to education, civic, non-profit, or other leaders. Please join our growing, world-wide “Courage community.”